Can’t Wait!!! Persuasion, on PBS Sunday Night

Just finished the book. Aisa and I were reading the book at the same time — I started around 3 and she started around 9 and was rapidly catching up to me — you shoulda seen us holding the book together in bed — but she finally gave herself up to sleep around 11. She’ll get to read the rest tomorrow. I’ve got the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds on reserve for when we get back. While I was at it I went ahead and reserved Northanger Abbey as well. Yup, it’s going to be Jane-Austen-crazy again around here for several weeks….

Already I am a bit disappointed at the changes…. Anne runs after him? And the letter comes AFTER she has gone after him? And she actually accepted Mr. Elliott’s proposal? Arrrrggghhhh…

I am now off to bed myself, as soon as I have a cup of my gingery soymilk “chai”:

4 cups water
6-inch gingerroot, peeled and sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
4 cups soymilk
honey or sugar to taste

In a large saucepan, bring to a boil water, ginger, cinnamon and peppercorns. Reduce to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Strain, then add the soymilk and simmer a few more minutes or until hot. Sweeten with honey or sugar to taste. From an old Food and Wine recipe, which lists “black tea” as optional — I didn’t have any regular black teas (my boys insist on getting their favorite Earl Gray all the time, and I didn’t think bergamot would go very well with the spices. It’s like a milky variation of Filipino salabat.

9 comments

1. Malou says:

Thanks for the info. I checked our PBS schedule and they do have all the Jane Austen’s adaptation (including my favorite, BBC’s Pride and Prejudice). I can’t wait!!

2. Easter A. says:

Stef,
    Thanks for the visit!

I watched the segment you posted and found it interesting. I had to laugh at your reaction. LOL.
    Also, I must say you are very talented in the art of cooking! I will be back to check on the other posts to see if I can copy some of your recipes. I like achara by the way.

God bless!
    Easter:-)

3. stef says:

i should say i was wrong — no, she did not accept elliott’s proposal after all, just like in the book (thank goodness). but i stand by my earlier observation — this adaptation was SOOO unlike the book as to make anne almost unrecognizable!! for one thing she was WAY TOOOO EMOTIONAL in the movie. One of the things I love about Anne is how level-headed she is, how she was resigned and ACCEPTING of what she thought was her destiny, and she had the GRACE to be that accepting about it. In the movie she was almost desperate, not at all an Anne that I could admire. That they made her this way in the movie makes it difficult to see exactly how Frederick realizes his faults. And the plot was so underdeveloped (I guess it had to be to cut down on time) — that Frederick’s turnaround happened (for me) a bit too fast. And I concur with another critic, who said that the word “persuasion” was used way too much, as if to get the point across without actually having to show it onscreen. Ugh. I’m watching the ’95 version tonight.

4. Malou says:

So, what did you think of Northanger Abbey? I have not read the book (borrowed it but couldn’t go past 1st chapter). It’s darker than her other novels, huh?

5. stef says:

I loved Northanger Abbey (the book)! But still prefer Persuasion. Although, Northanger Abbey seems to be the most cleverly written (so far, I haven’t read all the Austen books) — so full of witty repartee and just an overall entertaining read. It’s also the most annoying — it’s a can’t-put-it-down book precisely because you need to keep turning the page, waiting for those icky characters’ comeuppance!! As usual, I liked the book better than I did the movie 🙁 . I should have become a filmmaker…

6. Malou says:

Hi Stef! Have you seen BBC’s Persuasion? The one made in 1995 and is 6 hrs long? It has more details than the recent Masterpiece version and I thought you’d like it better. The only thing I noticed is most of the women look old to be in their mid to late 20s. Malou

7. stef says:

yes, i had to rent it right away after being so unhappy with the newer one. the acting and the writing was way better, but they did look too old for the role (most. esp. anne and capt. wentworth) — that was the only thing that “ruined” it for me. my dd likes the newer one b/c she can’t wrap her mind around the older actors — hee…. i think it’s just that rupert penry-jones is yummier-looking 😀 . OTOH, i’m really a sucker for good acting, and i tend to like better the movies that stay faithful to the books rather than being experimental.