Basic Basmati Rice Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 3-in cinnamon stick, crushed gently into large pieces
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Heat coconut in large saucepan over high heat.
- Add crushed cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, and cloves. Stir until fragrant (careful, cardamom may pop), about 8 seconds.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir well, then add the water and the salt. Cover and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- You know what they say about a watched pot? Don't believe that. You WANT to watch this pot. :D
- Once it reaches the boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook about 18 minutes or until water has been absorbed. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving. Pile high on a platter, fluff with a fork, and enjoy.